GUIDELINES FOR ABSTRACTS SUBMISSION
Abstract submissions are now open!
Important dates & Deadlines
- Submissions start: 11 January 2024
- Submission deadline: 8 April 2024, 23:59 CEST
- Late breaking submissions start: 16 May 2024 (EUR 100). Posters only.
- Late breaking submission deadline: 11 June 2024
- Notifications to regular submitters: End-May 2024
- Presentation confirmation oral/poster: 21 June 2024
- Notifications to LB submitters: Early-July 2024
- Presentation confirmation LB: 19 July 2024
Abstracts can only be submitted online via the online abstract submission form (will be available January 2024)
On the Congress website 1 month prior to the Congress.
Abstracts will be published as submitted in Clinical Nutrition ESPEN and each abstract will have a unique DOI.
- Delegates who would like to present their work at the Congress, either orally or as a poster, are invited to submit an abstract for consideration by the Scientific Committee.
- A paper should not be submitted to the 46th ESPEN Congress if it has already been presented internationally.
- Abstract submission is only possible via the online abstract submission form.
- Please read carefully all the instructions available on the Internet and on the online abstract submission system before preparing your abstract.
- The creation of a user account is required for the submission of an abstract and for registration. The account only needs to be created once and can be re-used for future abstract submission and registration to the conference. Submitters from last year’s meeting should use their existing account details.
- Abstracts can be saved in “Draft status” to be re-edited and modified until the submission deadline (8 April 2024, 23:59 CEST). Abstracts cannot be edited after the submission deadline.
- Abstracts fulfilling all criteria can be saved in “Final submission” status. Only abstracts in “Final submission” status will be considered for the Congress.
- Abstracts are accepted on a wide range of topics in clinical nutrition and metabolism. The submitter has to select the right topic for the abstract on the submission form. Available topics are:
- Nutritional assessment
- Nutritional epidemiology
- Macronutrients metabolism
- Neuroendocrine and immune systems
- Critical care
- Liver and gastrointestinal tract
- Nutrition and chronic disease
- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome
- Nutrition and cancer
- Nutritional intervention studies
- Perioperative care
For standardisation, the acceptable length of the abstract is of not more than 2’000 printable characters (title included).
This includes non-visible characters, such as spaces and line breaks. Authors’ details and conflict of interest are not included.
Please refer to the word count of the system as slight differences may occur when counting with WORD or similar programmes.
The abstract needs to be structured as follows:
- Rationale: this section should contain 1-2 sentences that clearly indicate the scientific question of the study and its clinical (or other) importance.
- Methods: this section should contain sufficient information to be able to understand the experimental design, the analytical techniques and the statistics used in the study.
- Results: this section should contain objective data to answer the scientific question(s).
- Conclusions: this section should provide only conclusions of the study directly supported by the results, along with implications for clinical practice, avoiding speculation and overgeneralisation.
One table can be included, but the total number of cells (columns + rows) may not exceed 16. Please note that tables may significantly reduce the number of the remaining allowed characters.
A paper cannot be accepted if the conflict-of-interest disclosure is not signed. On the online abstract form, provide the requested details for all authors.
The rules for preparing the abstracts are on this page. Failure to observe these guidelines may result in disqualification.
Presentation of abstracts
- Abstracts can be accepted either as a poster or oral communication.
- Only abstracts of authors who have confirmed the presentation and are duly registered by the deadline 21 June 2024, will be scheduled and included in the Abstract publication in Clinical Nutrition.
- The presenters will receive a dedicated email with detailed instructions to confirm their presentation and register. It is mandatory that the same user account is used for the registration and abstract submission if the presenter wishes to register before receiving notice on acceptance/rejection. If different accounts are used, we cannot ensure the link between the registration and abstract and guarantee the inclusion of the abstract.
- Posters should be a single page in portrait Format – more details on how to submit your poster will be provided in due time.
Abstracts & late breaking abstracts of duly registered presenters will be published as submitted in Clinical Nutrition ESPEN and each abstract will have a unique DOI. Abstracts will be published after the Congress and those abstracts not presented at the Congress will not be published. It is the responsibility of the submitting author to ensure that all details, including authorship, are correct. No changes will be allowed after final submission.
The Author of the abstract selected for presentation must be registered at the Congress
Abstracts must contain data and meet international ethical standards.
Abbreviations should be defined.
Trade names cannot be mentioned in the title. However, trade names in brackets will be accepted in the body of the text.
Please ensure your abstract does not contain spelling, grammar, or scientific mistakes, as it will be reproduced exactly as submitted. Linguistic accuracy is your responsibility. No proof reading will be done.
No changes can be made to the abstract after the submission deadline 8 April 2024, 23h59 CEST
The reviewers will score the abstracts according to the relevance to ESPEN, standard of English, objectivity of statements, description of what was done, suitability of methods to aims, conclusions confirmed by objective results, ethics, scientific value, potential clinical value, originality of work and overall impression
Submitting authors will be notified by End-May 2024 whether their abstract has been accepted, and they will be informed at the same time about the date, time and form of their presentation. All notifications will be sent out to the e-mail address given on the submission form.
If you want to withdraw your abstract, a written statement reflecting the reasons for this decision must be sent to the ESPEN Secretary email@example.com no later than 14 June 2024.
LATE BREAKING ABSTRACTS
Late breaking abstracts may be accepted from 16 May until 11 June 2024, 23:59 CEST with a non-refundable fee of EUR 100 that has to be paid upon submission. The fee is applicable although the abstract is accepted or not.
Late breaking abstracts will only be presented as posters.
Late breaking abstracts are also published in the Supplement of Clinical Nutrition.