Call for Abstracts
Late-breaking abstract submissions now open!
Share your latest research before 25 June with no extra submission fee!
GUIDELINES FOR ABSTRACTS SUBMISSION
Important dates & Deadlines
|Submission start:||13 January 2021|
|Submission deadline:||19 May 2021, Midnight CET|
|Late breaking submission start:||24 May 2021. Posters only|
|Late breaking submission deadline:||25 June 2021|
|Notifications to regular submitters||End-June 2021|
|Notifications to LB submitters||End-June 2021|
Abstracts can only be submitted online via the on-line abstract submission form (will be available January 2021)
On the Congress website 1 month prior to the Congress.
Abstracts will be published as submitted in Clinical Nutrition ESPEN and each abstract will have a unique DOI.
- Delegates, who would like to present their work at the Congress, either orally or as a poster, are invited to submit an abstract for consideration by the Abstract Grading Committee.
- A paper should not be submitted to the 43rd ESPEN Congress if it has already been presented internationally.
- Abstract submission is only possible via the online abstract submission form.
- Please read carefully all the instructions available on the Internet and on the on-line abstract submission system before preparing your abstract.
- The creation of a user account is required for the submission of an abstract. The account only needs to be created once and can be re-used for future abstract submission and registration to the conference. Submitters from last year’s meeting should use their existing account details.
- Abstracts can be saved in “Draft status” to be re-edited and modified until the submission deadline (19 May 2021, Midnight CET). Abstracts cannot be edited after the submission deadline.
- Abstracts fulfilling all criteria can be saved in “Final submission” status. Only abstracts in “Final submission” status will be considered for the Congress.
- Abstracts are accepted on a wide range of topics in clinical nutrition and metabolism. The submitter has to select the right topic for the abstract on the submission form. Available topics are:
- Nutritional epidemiology
- Carbohydrate and lipid metabolism
- Protein and amino acid metabolism
- Hormones, mediators and immunity
- Vitamins, antioxidants and minerals
- Critical Care
- Liver and gastrointestinal tract
- Nutrition and chronic diseases
- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome
- Nutrition and cancer
- Nutritional techniques and formulations
- Qualitative design studies
- Perioperative care
For standardisation, the acceptable length of the abstract is not more than 2’000 printable characters (title included). This includes non-visible characters, such as spaces and line breaks. Authors’ details and conflict of interest are not included.
Please refer to the word count of the system as slight differences may occur when counting with WORD or similar programmes.
The abstract needs to be structured as follows:
- Rationale: This section should contain 1-2 sentences that clearly indicate the scientific question of the study and its clinical (or other) importance.
- Methods: This section should contain sufficient information to be able to understand the experimental design, the analytical techniques and the statistics used in the study.
- Results: This section should contain objective data to answer the scientific question(s).
- Conclusions: This section should provide only conclusions of the study directly supported by the results, along with implications for clinical practice, avoiding speculation and over generalisation.
One table can be included, but the total number of cells (columns + rows) may not exceed 16. Please note that tables may significantly reduce the number of the remaining allowed characters.
A paper cannot be accepted if the conflict of interest disclosure is not signed. On the on-line abstract form, provide the requested details for all authors.
The rules for preparing the abstracts are on this page. Failure to observe these guidelines may result in disqualification.
Late-breaking abstracts may be accepted from the 24th May until the 25th June 2021, Midnight, CET with a non-refundable fee of EUR 100 that has to be paid upon submission. The fee is applicable although the abstract is accepted or not.
Late-breaking abstracts will only be presented as posters.
Late-breaking abstracts are also published in the Supplement of Clinical Nutrition.
Presentation of abstracts
- Abstracts can be accepted either as an ePoster or oral communication.
- The Abstract Scientific Committee will select submitted abstracts and determine whether they are accepted for oral or ePoster presentation.
- ePosters should be a single page ppt slide in portrait (10:9) Format – more details on how to submit your ePoster will be provided.
Abstracts & late-breaking abstracts will be published as submitted in Clinical Nutrition ESPEN and each abstract will have a unique DOI. Abstracts will be published after the Congress and those abstracts not presented at the Congress will not be published. It is the responsibility of the submitting author to ensure that all details, including authorship, are correct. No changes will be allowed after final submission.
- The Author of the abstract selected for presentation must be registered at the Congress.
- Abstracts must contain data and meet international ethical standards
- Abbreviations should be defined
- Trade names cannot be mentioned in the title. However, trade names in brackets will be accepted in the body of the text
- Please ensure your abstract does not contain spelling, grammar, or scientific mistakes, as it will be reproduced exactly as submitted. Linguistic accuracy is your responsibility. No proofreading will be done.
- No changes can be made to the abstract after the submission deadline of 19 May 2021, midnight CET.
- The reviewers will judge the abstracts according to its relevance to ESPEN, the standard of English, the objectivity of statements, description of what was done, suitability of methods to aims, conclusions confirmed by objective results, ethics, scientific value, potential clinical value, originality of work and overall impression
- Submitting authors will be notified by End-June 2021 whether their abstract has been accepted, and they will be informed at the same time about the date, time and form of their presentation. All notifications will be sent out to the e-mail address given on the submission form.
If you want to withdraw your abstract, a written statement reflecting the reasons for this decision must be sent to the ESPEN Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 1 June 2021.